My Critique has waited for nearly a week and a half now. I have avoided contact or even being near my computer in attempts to not write this lump-in-my-throat review. Well, I can't hide from my computer. If you haven't guessed yet, I am a huge Simpson's fan. I have the first five seasons of the Simpson, I watch the show whenever I can, I own Homer Simpson Slippers. I'm even wearing a Simpson's T-shirt as I write this.
3 out of 5 stars - I could stop right there. I probably should, seeing that every heart wrenching, mentally conflicting, truly confusing, life shortening word I write for this unsure review well as may be for my obituary. For being a huge Simpson's fan, this life defining event either justifies my hours spent pouring over this show, or rips my beliefs to shreds. However it did neither of these.
I was prepared. While it would seem I still ride the nearly impossible crest of the wave of obsession and phenomena with the show, as the show did with general public shortly after it's creation, I had passed that stage of love a long time ago. Yet I have been revitalized by the thunderous fall of this wave on the beach. At this current point in my affair with the Simpson's, I am floating back to open ocean on the receding water. It sounds depressing, but everyone knows the water will come back.
These past seasons have warned me. They have been markers for the evolving show. Competing with more low-brow cartoons like Family Guy, The Simpson's were not "simpson-esque". It was the first prime time cartoon satire to add humor to plots and stories that would coincide with and remind viewers of their family. While the movie contained an epic journey of Homer discovering true happiness through others enjoyment as well as his, many scenes cheapened the overall story, like Bart's genitals and the numerous times the writer's chose a sophomoric laugh over truly genuine moment. I am not saying the movie shouldn't have been funny, but it should have been the culmination of everything the Simpson's stand for and represent.
All in all, a great movie, but a bad Simpson's installment.
What is 'The Forum?'
The Forum takes its name from the ancient Roman Forum where issues, opinions, and news were argued, reiterated, and analyzed. Our mission is not to report, but to give the reader a in depth view on situations, events, and just about anything at hand. Feel free to read and comment about my usual summary of the NBA, analyzation of the upcoming election, or thoughts on the economy.
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
The Simpson's show is innovative and interesting. The Simpson's Movie is just three - half hour shows without the commercials. Like most movies made from television shows, the Simpsons Movie leaves me with basic disappointment.
Post a Comment